17 May, 2010

The Evolution of Prejudice

The other day I was voicing strong criticism of the muslim hijab. This lead to a discussion of "but forcing them not to wear it is as bad as them being forced to wear it," this lead to a ridiculous situation where both sides were using the same argument: prejudice is wrong, regardless of the message. Therefore we can't criticise people from other cultures because that's prejudice and prejudice is wrong.

This is actually a very important issue. One that Sam Harris has already brought up. People who are prejudice against prejudice like to think that they are occupying a strong moral high ground because it can not easily be attacked.

Wrong.

Fristly, prejudice is part of human nature. Everyone has prejudices. If you don't think you're prejudiced then consider that without them your sense of self must be by definition be so tenuous that you simply don't matter because you have no opinions, dreams, goals or will of your own.

Secondly, not all prejudices are bad: I hate lies. I hate liars. I hate laziness. I hate disease. I hate death. I hate religion. I hate manipulators. I hate insecurities. I hate ignorance. I hate cowardice. I hate poverty. I hate greed. I hate inequalities. I hate bullies. I hate injustice. I hate impatience. I hate intolerance. I hate defeatism. I hate disrespect. I hate stupidity.

Thirdly, prejudices could conceviably be positive (Prejudice, n, Any preconceived opinion or feeling, whether positive or negative): I like life. I like people. I like Australia. I like honesty. I like self-control. I like courage. I like determination. I like kindness. I like understanding. I like independance. I like action. I like creativity.

Fourthly, prejudice is the foundation of morality. One person's prejudice is another's moral code. We can have conflicting moral feelings and that's very common. We can argue about the reasons why we have our different likes and hates. But you cannot attack me simply for having those feelings.

for example:

Person A: I hate foreigners who don't conform to our ways and culture.
Person B: You're a racist bigot.
Person C: Really? It doesn't upset me that much. Why does it upset you when foreigners don't conform to our ways and culture?

Who is more moral, person B or C?

Answer: none, they are all moral entities - one is either moral or not moral, there is no spectrum here.

Who is the more wise, person B or C?

I would argue that person C is the most wise because they have responded respectfully and honestly, while I would argue that person B is applying a very simplistic category-based system of morality because they have attacked another person for simply expressing an opinion.

I think one should consider the type of morality one has:

Is it category based? (Good guys and bad guys)
Is it value based? (Honesty, consistency, kindness etc...)
Is it reason based? (Because X = Y and then Y = Z this person should be treated like that even though usually when Y = Z we treat them like this)

If you are threatened by other people's opinions (as opposed by their actions) then remember that what a person thinks and what a person does are completely different things. If someone has opinions that upset you remember that logically you must have opinions that upset them. I suggest that we don't worry about getting upset about what other people's opinions, we just focus on getting upset with their actions.

Some food for thought:

If you don't like racism simply because it is wrong... can you still be a racist?
If you like your culture more than others are you being racist?
Can you like one thing and not hate its opposite?

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the interesting post about something you clearly care about. I can certainly see where you come from and I know my response could be seen as unfair because I am clearly responding in a very different spirit to the post itself.

    Thinking politically...
    What is the cost of banning 'the muslim hijab'?
    What does a ban reinforce for people on all sides?
    I do not think that the debate about this ban is a debate about the tolerance of intolerance, it is a debate about banning (or tolerating) an item of clothing.

    As someone coming at your post from a 'social' point of view (and suffering from the 'when all you have is a hammer' dilemma) ...
    I have been thinking about 'the sense of moral superiority' that seems to come with belonging to almost any group, which I think you hint at. I have been thinking with the city-country divide.

    As for the opinion|action divide, I think that's interesting and is a somewhat workable solution that we all use to some degree. However, we encounter big problems when we start to really think about the opinion-action relationship.

    Finally, thinking in opposites is very problematic. Even if you think in a structuralist way it is often not the opposite which is hated/ feared/ powerful but rather that which is in between.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've certainly got a very good point... something I had considered too and it troubles me. Although recently I've been feeling intellectually tied up... I'm always looking for a solution to a problem like the polical system, the education system or the welfare system... but even though I am deeply frustrated with the current system every solution I can think of comes with new problems. I've come to the conclusion that it is potentially dangerous to get so obsessed with trying to be perfect theoretically... pragmatically speaking the best way to find a solution is to try something bold and different to avoid getting stuck in the stagnation of theorising.

    I'm actually becoming less ambitious over time... increasingly I'm looking less for drastic and sweeping improvements but looking at the best step forward no matter how small. I think society can only be as good as its people and the quality of its people depends on how well they've been nurtured and raised. In sense it is a pyramid and the high-functioning paragons of human virtue each society wants to be filled with can only be possible if the there are people below them to push them up to this level.

    At the risk of sounding egotistical, I think I'm a mediocre intellectual, I think I could have been outstanding if conditions had been better when I was younger: less bullying, better techers, better family life etcera. However, what has happened has happened and what is most important for me now is making sure that the difficulties that threatened to crush me be allieviated for other people so that the future can be better tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, there are no easy answers (if there are any answers at all). I found this book, Borerline Welfare By Andrew Cooper, Julian Lousada [http://books.google.com.au/books?id=lO5qg1mxJsUC&printsec=frontcover&dq=borderline+welfare&source=bl&ots=0n7hJFGgYN&sig=3Sios76esahXVgEKLAxG6E-ajI0&hl=en&ei=XBfzS9zdAs6HkAXRx6DoDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBsQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false], really helpful.

    “Between the extremes of failure and success, the fear of absolute dependence and the illusion of complete independence, there does indeed lie a third way. It seeks development and growth as its goal, not cure; it embraces interdependence and acknowledges degrees of relative dependence as facts of psychological and social life; and it understands that work is a relationship neither of total estrangement nor harmonious merger.” Pg 201

    ReplyDelete